1. I’ve started my work as assistance professor at the Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz on April 21st 2007. My researches are on postharvest physiology, biochemistry and quality attributes of fruits.
2. I spent a short sabbatical at the Plant & Food research centre, Palmerston North,New Zealand (January-April, 2007) and there I worked on some enzymatic changes of horticultural products.
3. I was worked as scientific advisor of Agricultural ministry of Iran for a year (Sep 2003- Sep 2004).
1. I’ve finished my Ph.D. at the University of Tarbiat Modares at November 11th. My researches were on postharvest physiology, biochemistry and quality factors of date fruit.
2. On January 30th 2002 I was awarded with the M.Sc. in Horticultural science(Pomology) from the University of Tarbiat Modares.
3. On September 20th 2000 I completed my BSc degree in Agricultural Engineering at the Horticulture Department of Shiraz University with a grade “very good” andrank of 2nd among the graduates of the year 2000.
4. On September 20th 1996 I graduated from High School of Shahid Hassani with a general grade "excellent" (17.8 / 20).
Ph.D. Thesis: “Effect of Packing Conditions on the Quality and Shelf Life of Date Fruits, cv. Barhee ", University of Tarbiat Modares, Tehran, IRAN
MSc. Thesis: “In Vitro Germination, Viability and Storage Ability of Different Male Date Pollen Grains”, University of Tarbiat Modares, Tehran, IRAN
Iranian Society for Horticultural Scienc
Khuzestan Province Nursery & Horticultural Association
· Enzymatic changes of fruits & vegetables after harvest.
· Physicochemical changes of fruits and vegetables during growth & ripening.
· Use of active packaging methods to increase shelf life of fruits & vegetables.
· A Study on the effects of pasteurization and UV–C irradiation on the longevity and quality characteristics of Rutab date.
· Design an experiment to evaluate of maintenance methods using for fresh leafy vegetables.
Current researches & projects
· Integrated management of postharvest quality of Citrus reticulate cv. pertanjelo using uv-c light and Eucalyptus globulus essential oil
· Establishment a NFT system for hydroponics production of strawberry fruit.
· A study on the Integration Effects of Ultraviolet Light with SO2 on the Shelf life of Strawberry Fruit cv. Kurdestan.
· Use of potassium permanganate coated nanoparticles to increase the quality and shelf life of fresh date fruits.
· Total antioxidant power and phenolic content of some date cultivars of Iran.
Previous Research Experiences (non-published)
Ø The effects of temperature and different ethephon concentrations on degreening of Kinnow mandarin (under writing).
Ø Preharvest application of Gibberellic acid and Ethephon on the quality of table grape berry (under writing).
Ø Determination of enzyme activity (e.g. PME, polygalactronase) in tomato & pepper in different growth stages (Advisor: Dr. D. Brummell, Plant & Food Research).
Ø The study of physicochemical changes of date fruit cv Barhee in different growth stages (under review).
Ø The effect of modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) on the quality and shelf life of fresh date (under writing).
Ø Optimization of Hydration Conditions on the Quality Characteristics of Dried Date Fruits (under review).
Ø HPLC determination of sugar & organic acid contents of Barhee date fruit in different growth stages (under review).
Selected Publications & Conferences
ü Najafi, S., Azzizollahi, F. and Mortazavi, M.H., 2011. Comparison of fruit softening enzymes activity (B-galactosidase and Arabinosidase) at different developmental stages for tomato, yellow and red bell peppers. Second Iranian Conference of Plant Physiology, 28-29 April, Yazd University, Iran.
ü Baharlooiy, A., Mortazavi, M.H., and Moalemi, N. 2011. Influence of postharvest application of putresine and intermittent warming on the quality and storage life of peach fruit. 7th Iranian Congress of Horticultural Science, 5-8 Sep, Esfahan University, Iran.
ü Mortazavi, M.H., Najafi, S. and Azzizollahi, F. 2011. The Effects of Packaging Type and Storage Condition on the Quality and Postharvest Biochemical Changes of Date Fruit, cv. Barhee, 7th Iranian Congress of Horticultural Science, 5-8 Sep, Esfahan University, Iran.
ü Lotfi, H., Mortazavi, M.H. and Moalemi, N. 2011. The effect of UV irradiation and SO2 fumigation on the changes of anthocyanin and lycopene content in strawberry and tomato fruit. Second Iranian Conference of Plant Physiology, 28-29 April, Yazd University, Iran.
ü Mortazavi, M.H., B. Siruie and F. Mohammadi, 2010. Interactive effects of temperature and 1-methylcyclopropene on Barhee date fruit quality picked at Khalal stage. Acta Horticulturae, 882: 867-873.
ü Mortazavi, M.H., K. Arzani and M. Barzegar, 2010. Analysis of sugars and organic acids contents of date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) Barhee during fruit development. Acta Horticulturae, 882: 793-801.
ü Mortazavi, M.H., RamezanNejad, M. and Karami, K. 2010. Effects of based edible emulsion coatings on Fruit Puffing and other Quality Attributes of Dried Date cv. Zahedi. The Fourth International Date Palm Conference, 15–17 March, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
ü Mortazavi, M.H., K. Arzani and A. Arujalian, 2010. Active modified atmosphere packaging of date fruit (Phoenix dactylifera L. cv. Barhee) in Khalal stage. Acta Horticulturae, 882: 1063-1069.
ü Mortazavi, S.M.H., Arzani, K. and Barzegar, M. 2007. Effect of Vacuum and Modified Atmosphere Packaging on the Shelf Life and Quality of Date (Phoenix dactylifera L.) Fruits, cv. Barhee. The Scientific Journal of Agriculture, 29: 25-32.
ü Mortazavi, M.H., K. Arzani and M. Barzegar, 2008. Effect of dehydration time and temperature on the quality characteristics of Barhee date in rutab stage. Pajhouhes Sazandegi J., 79: 186-193.
Hobbies & Interests
Kazem Arzani, Associate Professor. Department of Horticultural Science, College of Agriculture, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran. http://www.modares.ac.ir/agr/arzani_k/
Dave Brummell, Professor. Senior Scientist, Crop & Food Research, Private Bag 11600, Palmerston North, New Zealand., email@example.com